With the current cloud transcoding platforms, the following problems and limitations were identified:
- Cloud transcoding platforms are too expensive and are scaring away startups, who require their services. Existing companies have to spend more than half of their income just for processing these media files, which is not encouraging.
- Long processing time, due to limited hardware. Cloud transcoding platforms has a hard limit on hardware as all the files to be processed are queued, until their time is due for processing, which causes frustrations on the user side waiting for processing.
- Due to the centralized nature of the platform, server outage or downtime can cause failure of the whole transcoding process wasting time, money and resources.
- Most transcoding platforms are limited to only media file formats, making it very difficult to convert other formats such as images and documents formats.
OUTLINED SOLUTIONS TO THE PROBLEMS
Here are the proposed solutions to the problems above:
- The blockchain and decentralized technology model enables the provision of a cheaper and reliable alternative to cloud transcoding.
- Due to the unlimited processing power, all thanks to the workers, files will be transcoded in a very fast speed, eliminating long queues and waiting time.
- A single transcoding request will be processed by multiple nodes and workers, so the outage of one node or worker will have no effect on the process, making it more efficient and time-saving.
- Transcoding will not be limited to audio and videos only, but also other file formats such as images and documents.